7 Best security plugins for WordPress
WordPress is, by far, the most popular web publishing platform to date. Ranging from blogs to e-commerce, WordPress is one of the top choices for putting anything out there on the web in an easy-to-manage format. It’s become so popular that various plugins have been created for WordPress, especially for that all-important function: security.
Here are seven of the best security plugins for WordPress:
1) iThemes Security. Better known as “Better WP Security, this plugin is one of the most robust—and one of the easiest—ways to keep your WordPress site ticking along. It’s easy because the plugin treats security more like an easy-to-manage to-do list that just about anyone can follow through with. It tells you what needs fixing all with a few clicks of your mouse.
2) All-in-One Security and Firewall. This plugin features many of the same capabilities as iThemes, so this is another strong go-to piece of software that will guard your site well. Pick one or the other, and you can’t go wrong. An added feature of All-in-One is that there’s a meter on the site that tells you how secure your site actually is. This is helpful if you’re running an older version of WordPress and haven’t upgraded yet.
3) Sucuri. On top of their premium membership, Sucuri, Inc. offers this helpful free plugin for WordPress users. Two of the main features of this plugin are: 1) the program keeps track of all changes to your site, and 2) it scans blacklist-monitoring sites to see if your site’s been flagged for security issues, which helps in detecting if there’s malware on your site.
4) BruteProtect. “Brute Force” is a common hacking technique involving a bunch of bots to determine password combinations, and so on. BruteProtect keeps these bots out, preventing both server overload from too many bots, as well as actual successful hack jobs.
5) WordFence. One of the most popular WordPress plugins, this piece of software does everything from checking
your site for malware, to scanning comments for malicious code. The plugin is free, but there are advanced security measures for the paid version, so if you have the money, go for those premium features.
6) BulletProof Security. This is another super-popular security plugin for WordPress because of its well-rounded features. It’s like the ultimate bodyguard for your site, doing everything from firewalls, limiting failed login attempts, and so on. The pro version has more features, but the free version is often good enough on its own.
7) Google Authenticator. This plugin supports even the strongest passwords. Just install this plugin, which will add a Google Authenticator code box . Install the Authenticator app on your phone, which will cycle through a series of numbers. Type in the number that app provides into the box once you’ve provided your main login details, and you’re done. Google Authenticator makes it twice as challenging for hackers to get in. Most of the plugins mentioned here are free but for paid plugins use coupons from Coupon Goo to get discount on your order.
Out of all the security plugins for WordPress, these are seven of the best ones out there to use, as they provide excellent all-around protection for your site, giving you all kinds of alerts and to-do’s to make sure you’re not a WordPress hacking statistic.