We are living in a world in which technology and related things control the whole world. But still many are unaware of many technical terms. One of the most required web tools is web hosting and we can barely find an organization or company which has not got an online presence.
But surprisingly, majority of them don’t know anything about the terms related to it. The vocabularies regarding web hosting are still a myth and in this post I am aiming to reveal it, so that everyone will have an idea about the common web hosting terms and jargon so as to choose the right web host for your business.
Meaning of Web Hosting Terms
Web hosting terminology starts with words like domain, file hosting, disk space, bandwidth, database, backup, etc. So let us have a look at these words in order to know what they are.
- Domain name – The address that we require to go to a website. It is an alphanumeric string which is separated by periods, for example, www.wikipedia.com. Domain names end in other extensions like .org, .net, .in, .info, .co.uk, etc.
- File Hosting – Hosting enables us to upload files, images, etc., to the internet from one computer to another computer/device. You can access the service either using HTTP method or via FTP access. Hosting files to the server is a simple process and can be done easily even by a newbie because it is just a matter of few clicks.
- Bandwidth – Bandwidth is the quantity of data which is transferred from one place to another. In simple words, it is the amount of data that can be downloaded from the server. The bandwidth rate of different companies may vary according to their packages. Bandwidth can also be defined more simply, by the amount of data which can be carried between your site and visitors computer/device. Usually the bandwidth rate of basic website would be 10 or 20GB and nowadays most of the hosting providers give unlimited bandwidth with their packages.
- Disk Space – Disk space represents the hard disk space or otherwise can be called as the virtual space allocated to each customer by the hosting provider. Disk space mentioned in your hosting package will be the amount of files that you can upload to your server. Nowadays most of the web hosts provide unlimited disk space or storage with their plan, so that you will not face any deficiency in disk space.
- Database – Database or DB is collection of information which is arranged in a form so that a computer program can choose certain data from it. Usually, database is organized in fields, records and files. Database makes the processes very easy because it is organized and structured in very simple manner.
- Control Panel – control panel is like the dashboard which is included in every hosting plan that will allow us to manage different aspects of our hosting account smoothly and efficiently. The control panels like cPanel will make all our process easier. Any newbie can do all most all things pertaining to hosting in a mouse click. With control panel, you will get access to server logs, email account configurations, database management, and visitor statistics, file manager, etc.
- FTP – FTP or File Transfer Protocol is a program that will allow you to upload and download files to and from the server. Using an FTP program to upload files in to your website will make the process easier and faster.
- Dedicated Server – A kind of server in which the hosting provider gives the website a server of its own. Purchasing dedicated server will make your site load fast and it is capable of consuming a lot of traffic but the cost will be higher than any other hosting.
- Shared Hosting – In shared hosting, multiple websites will share the same server and its resources. Shared hosting is affordable and as well as effective if your site aims just some basic things and functions.
- VPS Hosting – VPS Hosting or Virtual Private Server is a type of hosting in which one server is split into two and each will perform as a server. These kind of hosting are less expensive than dedicated hosting and has more features and qualities than the shared hosting.
So we have come across ten most used terms related to web hosting. I’ll now conclude with the expectation that you have become familiar with meaning of web hosting terms and have a better understanding of the same.
Author bio: Thejas Kamath is a pro blogger who writes about various web hosting reviews in one of his blogs SayWebHosting to help out his peers.