WhatsApp New Features
WhatsApp new features released in Beta version for both the iOs and Android users
Clearly they are looking to further dominate and increase their user base. The instant messenger service has launched many new features in its already successful platform.
They have released the new feature on both Apple and Android version that help users to customize their messaging experience. The app has around one billion monthly users and I am one of those. They were acquired by the popular social network Facebook in 2014.
The app was keen on improving its features and enhancing it’s users experience. Their innervation has lead them to introduced many new features like, quote messages, new fonts, text formatting, call back option, send a voice message for missed calls, the ability to share information and forward messages to multiple contacts and many other features.
There are about one hundred million voice calls made every day, the Android version comes with more exciting emojis, 🙂 which includes ones that were exclusively for Apple devices. Currently the Unicode 9 emojis are supported by the messenger app. The gif sharing is also part of the new feature, which were already supported on the Facebook Messenger. There are also reports that the company has plans of bring public groups for Apple users, larger emojis and music sharing.
Multi sharing feature
WhatsApp new features includes releasing a beta version of the app for Android users. The users who have the Android version v2.16.230 have the facility to send forward messages or regular text messages to many recipients at the same time, even a group. This is a major update as earlier users were only allowed to send messages to one contact at a time or with one group at a time. You can now get the new version downloaded even from the APK mirror and the new features are quite simple to use.
Steps to follow while using the new features
- You must select the documents, videos or images you wish to send to members of you contact list.
- The app will display a list of contacts in three different options, in which some of the contacts appear under the ‘Frequent Chats’ while others appear under the ‘Recent Chats’. The rest of your contacts are displayed under the options ‘Other Chats’.
- The selected item can be sent to multiple contacts by selecting any one of the option or simply select the contacts and add them under the list.
- Any contacts that you select appear with a green tick on the display picture. Users can also select the contact in which they wish to send the content they will also appear with a green band.
- Then the user can click on the send option to send the content.
- Earlier, the users have to go to each document, video or image and share it with, multiple contacts individually, but the introduction of the new feature, the process of sending messages to multiple users have become even more easier. The app also supports the sharing of the PDF and Doc files on its platform.
Quote messaging feature
This is a new feature introduced in the instant messaging platform that allows the users to quote a message that was already used in a group or personal conversation. This feature is updated in the Android beta version v2.16.118. In the quote message, the reply also comes along with the quoted text as the user press the send option. In general, the feature includes the context along with the messages. This feature is available for both the group chats and individual chats.
Steps to follow while using the quote message feature
- To quote a message, the user must select the specific message. The message to be quoted can either be a text message or a media message.
- The user has to long press the message that has to be quoted and a pop up is followed by the options like forward, reply and delete that appears at the top of the screen.
- When the user selects the reply option, the app displays a preview along with the quoted message. In addition to it, a small box appears on the screen where the user can enter the reply text.
- Once when the user types the reply, they can click on the send button.
- The reply shows the conversation along with the original quoted message that is attached on top of the box. And in the group conversation, the sender’s name is color coded and each member in the group gets a different color code.
Call back and Voice message feature
All of you already using WhatsApp have probably already noticed that sending a voice message if the call is not picked up is possible. The call back feature allows users to call back the contact if the person fails to pick up the call. The feature also has an option to Cancel which closes the screen if the user wishes to move from that particular call. The feature is available for both Apple and the Android users.
Steps to follow while using the Call back and Voice message feature
- The user has to press and hold the Voice message button so that they can record the message that they wish to send to the recipient.
- The Voice messages look similar to the voice recordings to the person who receives them.
- If the call is not picked by the person on the other end, the user has to click on the Call back option so that they can once again try to connect to that person.
- If the user does not wish to call back, they can select the Cancel option that rolls them out of the calling window.
This feature was under speculation for quite some time. Since the moment the app added voice calling feature. Even the translation papers that were revealed in early June gave a clue that the app is going to release another update.
Text formatting feature
WhatsApp New Features includes the roll out that allows the users to format their messaging platform by changing the font to bold, italics and even
strike through the text. This feature is available in the Android beta version v2.12.535 that is used by the Google Play testers.
The users can even download from the APK file. The Apple users have to update the app to the latest version if they wish to have the option of ‘bold’ text. If users would like italics they have to type the contents in between the asterisks and also between the underscores. You have to type in between the tilde symbol, if you wish to strike through the contents. The app now has the option to share the PDF documents from the Microsoft OneDrive and Google drive accounts. The app allows the iOs users to save the media based on certain chats, so that they are not mixed with the other files on your device.
FixedSys font feature
You will also be able to type text in different fonts this will make the text appear in different style. This feature is similar to the feature that is offered in Windows. In this initial stage, it’s the only type of font offered by the app. This feature is available in the Android beta version v2.16.179; it is also available for the Apple users.
Steps to follow while using the FixedSys font feature
- The user has to type the contents in 3 back-quote symbols at the start and end of the content, if they wish to type in the FixedSys font.
- This user cannot use this feature along with the text formatting features like the strike through, bold or italics.
As we mentioned right a the start with WhatsApp new features you will have more control and an enhanced user experience. It will make an already dominate app more competitive. I love the simplicity of WhatsApp and hope the complexities don’t overshadow the functionality.